Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Thinking about differences...


As I read articles related to multiculturalism today, I realized that it is also important to recognize differences in skill sets. The other day I helped a colleague create the most simple word processing document, a welcome sign for new employees moving into the area. I showed her how to add clip art and word art, how to change colors and fonts until she arrived at a document she liked. I had always thought of this person as well rounded and never expected her to come to me with such a request. I was surprised to be able to help her learn something new.

As someone who likes teaching others and loves the possibilities of design, I really enjoyed the brief time I spent with her that afternoon, but it really made me think. You always need to be aware of differences and not assume that because something is almost second nature to you, it is that way for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment